CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 9, 2008

A story I wrote for halloween of 2007 under another pen name on helium

The wind is whipping the leaves are whirling some are falling at my feet. The night air has a slight chill enough to give you just a hint of cold that runs up your arms, causing little goosebumps. Kids are all getting ready for the tradition of trick or treating. You can hear them laughing, all giddy as they ring the doorbells of the neighbors that on any other day would not so much as get a boo out of them. "Trick or Treat, give me something good to eat" is what I hear coming from a little girl standing in her Little Mermaid costume. She exits the door with a polite thankyou and off to the next house.
As I continue to stroll down the sidewalk, I think to myself what a wonderful time of year. I see cobwebs in the eaves of some of the houses, leaves all on the ground in an array of color, the smells of fall are pure delight.
Not too far into my walk out in the field I notice a large group of people standing around, they are looking at a smaller group that have formed a circle. As I walk closer I notice that there is a cauldron and there is a group of about eight to ten people. They have formed a circle around the cauldron. Someone is chanting then the others follow suit. I stand closer to watch as I am now totally enthralled in what is taken place.
A seance is taking place. I hear one little girl let out a scream of the witches are casting spell as she runs off dropping her bag of goodies. Another man yells this kind of activity should be banned your scaring the children. Not once did anyone in the circle take heed of what was being said about them, or for that matter seem to care that some of the onlookers had become disturbed.
So upon further observation I could see tears streaming down the face of one of the seance members faces. I thought I wonder if she had contacted someone that she wanted to or had they contacted her? I watched for a while longer and then decided to continue on my way.
For some reason the image of the tears flowing down the face of that person stuck with me throughout my walk. I recognize the face.
As I am heading to home I notice that really nobody seems to even notice that I am just here tonight observing them taken in all the sights and sounds. Something I guess I don't do on a normal basis. Maybe I did once but I don't recall doing it ever. So as I walk through the gate of what is now my home, I see that the moon is quite full, I am delighted with how well everyone looked in costumes and once again remembering the seance.
My mind now returns to the face the image of tears. Who was it? It has been many years that I have been laid to rest her in the hillside cemetary and still images of childhood things come to me every now and then. Hauntingly surprising perhaps I even gave you a fright to think that maybe that image was me in my early years just having some fun, in the middle of a field. Happy Halloween to all.

4 comments:

Magdalen Islands said...

And a Happy Halloween to you too Jadey. Will you be walking the children around this Halloween or staying in and handing out treats?
BTW Thanks for sending you URL. I forgot to put it where I could get it the last time. I meant to ask you for it again, last night.

Head Cookie said...

Hey Wynn,

Thanks for dropping bye. I will be walking the kids this year. So glad to be back blogging. Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you blogging again, and what a great piece.

Head Cookie said...

thank you so much Keith